Real Madrid vs Atalanta Champions League Live Football Score 24 Feb 2021
- Atalanta have the ability to upset anyone on their day and they should feel optimistic of their chances against Real Madrid given their form this season and current list of absentees. The Serie A outfit thrashed Napoli 4-2 at the weekend, their second victory over them this month.
- Real Madrid have won four in a row, with Luka Modric, Toni Kroos and Casemiro really dragging them back into the title race in La Liga. They almost crashed out of the Champions League group stage in December and won just one of three away games.
- Atalanta have lost just one of their last 11 home games, winning eight times in that period. The Serie A outfit have scored at least 3 goals in nine of those matches. It wouldn’t be a surprise to see them take a first-leg lead.
A highly-anticipated showdown in the last 16 of the Champions League takes place on Wednesday as Atalanta BC welcome Real Madrid to the Gewiss Stadium for the first leg.
Gian Piero Gasperini’s side finished second in Group D to book their spot in the knockout stages, while Real Madrid ultimately topped Group B after a shaky start to proceedings.
Had this fixture been played five years ago, Real Madrid would have been expected to sweep aside their Italian counterparts on their way to yet another European crown. However, Atalanta’s meteoric rise has their fanbase believing that a shot at continental glory is certainly on the cards.La Dea’s maiden Champions League campaign last season ended with quarter-final heartbreak at the hands of beaten finalists Paris Saint-Germain, but Gasperini’s free-scoring charges have not let up this term and managed to qualify in second place from Group D – behind Liverpool, whom they memorably beat at Anfield – and above 2018-19 semi-finalists Ajax.
Atalanta have been rewarded for their efforts with one of the biggest ties in the club’s illustrious 113-year history, and the Bergamo-based outfit will welcome an injury-hit Real Madrid to Italy with genuine belief that they can get one over the most successful team in Champions League history.
As far as their domestic fortunes are concerned, Gasperini’s side are some way off the two title-chasing Milan clubs in Serie A, but they warmed up for this game with a thrilling 4-2 win over Napoli, with Colombian compatriots Duvan Zapata and Luis Muriel both adding to their already impressive tallies for the season in that one.
- Atalanta only have Hans Hateboer missing when they face Real Madrid on Wednesday.
- Defensive duo Cristian Romero and Berat Djimsiti will miss the return leg if they are booked on Wednesday.
- Atalanta will either go with a 3-4-1-2 or 3-4-2-1 formation against Madrid.
- Previous star of the team, Papu Gomez, was sold to Sevilla in January.
- Karim Benzema has been ruled out for the second game running for Real Madrid in a massive blow for Spanish giants.
- Unless Zinedine Zidane gets creative with his front three, it looks like Mariano will keep his place up front from the weekend.
- Madrid are already without big name players like Sergio Ramos, Marcelo and Eden Hazard for Wednesday.
- Casemiro will miss the return leg if he is booked on Wednesday.